Problem with Aero on Windows 7 via Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KCWolfPck, Jan 22, 2010.

1. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

So, I recently installed Parallels 5 on my MacBook and then I installed Windows 7 as a virual machine. For some reason, I cannot get Windows 7 to run in "aero" mode.

The MacBook I installed it on is a year or two old (it's a Black MacBook). It's got a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I believe the sceps are enough to support "aero" mode.

In the virtual machine configure menu. I've selected Processors = 1 and Mani Memory = 1200 MB (top of recommended).

When trying to adjust my settings in Windows 7, there is a message at the bottom of he personalization screen with a link to "Troubleshoot problems with transparency and other aero effects". When I click the link, it runs a test to detect problems. After the test is complete, it tells me that Desktop Window Manager is disabled.

Any idea on what I can do to get Aero working, or is my macBook not up to snuff?

Thanks!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The video card for the Blackbook doesn't have what it takes to run Aero in virtualization. The following is quoted from the Parallels support forums:

3. KCWolfPck thread starter macrumors regular

Ah....thanks! It's good to know that the Mac simply can't handle it and it's not a user error.