Problem with Airport Extreme and PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mathiasec, May 15, 2014.

1. mathiasec macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a rather annoying problem with my Airport Extreme (tower) and PlayStation 3.

The Airport keeps disconnecting the ps3, a DNS-problem, the Ps3 can't obtain an IP-address, and when it does, it can't keep it.

I've read some guides on how to fix it, that has helped other people, but they won't work. I've tried turning off the ps3 media server option. Didn't work. I've tried giving the ps3 a static IP, that didn't work either (except once, where it worked for about 2 minutes, after which I got kicked off, again).

Others say it's the uPNP, or NAT. I don't know anything about that, and I can't find a menu-option for either in the airport-tool.

The airport is set to bride-mode, so I use it just to create a wireless network.

Has anyone had this problem, and figured out a solution? Help would be much appreciated, as the only solution I've found, is to turn it off and on again (several times a day). Could it perhaps be a faulty Airport?

I should probably mention, that there's no problem connecting the MacBooks, iPhones or iPads.

2. ColdCase, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

My PS3 works flawlessly with the tower, nothing special configured.

If I understand you correctly, you are using the airport as a wireless entry point (bridge mode). So your issue is with your router or ISP, not the airport, as the airport just sends packets to the router more or less. In bridge mode the airport is not serving up addresses or controlling them. What kind of router are you using?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try switching from Bridge Mode to DHCP And NAT mode. It will throw a double NAT error but see if the issue is temporarily resolved. It should be.

Then set the modem to bridge mode. Most modems have a series of options to make that work. Otherwise, if this is ISP supplied equipment, calling the ISP will make them do it for you. Then just reboot everything and get back to gaming.

NOTE: Try to avoid leaving the router in a "Double NAT" configuration. It can cause headaches later, increases latency, and all ports must be forwarded twice.

4. mathiasec thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm using the airport in bridge mode. The router I use is a Sagem F@st 3504, supplied by my ISP.

----------

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to find out where, in the router settings menu, I can set it to bridge mode, but I couldn't find it. So unless I find a solution before, I think I'm gonna give the ISP a call after the weekend.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Check my screen shot out. It will cause the AirPort to give a warning of Double NAT. Do not leave it like this though.

Attached Files:

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

According to this, page 5-33, you select WAN service type and then the bridging button. Perhaps the3504 is similar.

http://support.sagemcom.com/site/livret/RM_253272861A_Fast_1704_ENG.pdf

I've read that folks have set the Sagem to bridge mode, but complain that it won't stick and the thing comes out of bridge mode frequently, causing disconnects.

You can also try disabling the Sagem DHCP server in the LAN config screen.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Simply disabling DHCP does not bridge the modem. That simply disables the DHCP server and then must use static IPs to connect any clients.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Some brands of modem/router combinations are set to bridge mode by disabling their DHCP... you will not find a "bridge" mode button in their menu screen... I think my actiontech was like that. Dunno about the Sagem model the OP has, but may explain why he can't find bridge mode in its menu tree. It was just a thought.

One would enable DHCP in the AEBS to serve addresses.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very few are like that. The OP should just call the ISP. Most of the time they have no issues doing it and the call is free of charge.