Problem with airport

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hkriffraff, May 19, 2007.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

My clumsy girlfriend dropped the Powerbook I had handed down to her. Now the computer doesn't connect to my wifi network and the airport status display has vanished from the menu bar. When I checked the Network Port Configuration settings under Network preferences, the Airport box is unchecked and the option is grayed out. Does this mean the airport feature is busted? Can anything be done?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dump her and get a less clumsy girlfriend? ;)

What generation and size is this powerbook? It probably has an airport module that looks like a PCI Express / PCMCIA card. On many of the models, it's seated underneath the keyboard. The card looks something like this:

[​IMG]

It has that large PCB connector on one side, and then it also has a cable harness for the antenna that plugs into it.

I would access it any make sure both of these are tight -- often, what happens is that these get knocked loose in a drop.

3. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

It was the first 15" Aluminum Powerbook. Thanks for the tip! I'll try to check it out when I can find a screwdriver to remove the bottom casing.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan