Problem with all macbook pros.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by t3heford, Jul 1, 2009.

1. t3heford macrumors member

This applies to the touch pad on any unibody, but i have the 13" pro.

I'm a tap-to-click user btw, and there are the most fundamental usability flaws with the touch pad that I can't get around!

1. .25 second lag when using tap to click compared to press to click.
    2. Double-tap-drag-drop has a .5 second delay after you release your finger before it actually registers that you're no longer dragging (giving you drag lock for .5 second)

I want to like this computer so much. But when the basic means of manipulating with the computer are slow, all the gigahertz and gigabytes are for nothing.:(

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's suppose to act that way. The OS is not suppose to assume that you're done with tap and drag just because you take your finger off the trackpad. You're suppose to tap again to immediately disengage the tap and drag hold, if you don't it will delay slightly before it realizes you no longer want this function activated.

3. t3heford thread starter macrumors member

What's the point of having separate options for drag lock then if the "function" is forced on you?
    And what about the inherent delay when using tap to click?

4. 1ne macrumors regular

This also happens on my Windows notebook. Like HLdan said, it's suppose to be that way.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I am curious how you were able to measure the delay?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same because tap-to-click is feels almost instantaneous to me and come on, .25 seconds?. I don't use tap-to-drag because I find it annoying.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm on the 17 inch and i dont noctice the first delay you mentioned

8. t3heford thread starter macrumors member

I'm not using a stop watch but there is a noticeable delay that seems shorter than half a second...hence my guess of .25.
    I'm not making it up: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9259152
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1757606&start=0&tstart=0

I just wanted to see if macrumors shared my displeasure with these supposedly "precision" machines.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I can tell you're ignoring what's been said. This is not an issue, that's the way tap n drag works. If it's an issue for you, then it's in issue for you but it's not an "issue" with the Macbook Pros.

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

11. goMac macrumors 603

It's impossible to do it any other way because it has to figure out if you're doing a single tap or tap to drag.

As mentioned, every computer does the same thing with this behavior. It's just impossible to do it any other way until you plug your brain directly into the computer so it knows what you are thinking.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Perhaps it's a problem with the user... :rolleyes:

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ahh, that would make sense if tap-to-drag is enabled, I don't use that so tap-to-click is instant.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i second this

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with his precise winVistahomebasicproultimate machine:p

16. vanc macrumors 6502

I don't use tag-to-drap (drag lock). Cannot find any delay.

17. cababah macrumors 68000

nope, mine is a snappy 0.15 seconds

your 0.25s time is a problem, take it back to apple and have them look at/time it:rolleyes:

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

mine is at 0.1498659972

You might want to get yours calibrated! :D

19. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Must be a 13" umbp problem, because ihave a 15" and have no delay, play with your trackpad settings until they are good enough for you,

20. Inked macrumors regular

Sorry mate but sounds like Pic,nic to me (Problem in chair, not in computer)

21. t3heford thread starter macrumors member

No, I was not ignoring what he said, I was referring to his comments on tap-to-click rather than tap-and-drag.

That certainly makes tap-to-click work as it should, but now there's no dragging :\

Single tap has nothing to do with tap to drag, which is why I don't understand why there's a delay if the latter is enabled. Tap to drag uses a double click then drag, not a single click...so there's no reason for the delay.

To [almost] everyone else. I'm really appalled at how childish some members are in the macrumors community. There is no reason to make fun of me just because I notice a problem with the drivers that can easily go overlooked. Am I asking too much of you guys?

22. eeriephenomenon macrumors member

Regarding your last statement, without sounding childish, we've already stated that there is no problem with the drivers or anything else here. It's just that you want the computer to read your mind somehow and do this process instantly, which is near impossible. You need to understand that this is how it works. And this is also why I don't use double-tap i also find it annoying. Click-to-drag is much more efficient.

So in short, we have nothing against you, it's just that it sounds like you have your mind set that it's an issue when you should try being a little more open minded and realize that this is how it works.

23. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

it's deliberate, it's meant to be like that. just like the caps lock key, it wont always come on the first time you hit the caps lock key while typing, in case you hit it by accident.

24. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Not a problem for me! I use an external mouse......

25. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

winner :)