Problem with an old lens: aperture a bit sluggish, some pictures overexposed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by OreoCookie, Mar 3, 2013.

1. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I have a 80-200 mm f/2.8 Nikon lens (the second push-pull version with the »D« in the name for distance) that was made in the early 1990s, I believe. So far it has worked flawlessly and I have had to have it serviced three, four years ago to remove dried saltwater from one of the lenses inside. Optically, I love it. However, yesterday I noticed that the pictures tend to be overexposed for high shutter speeds and smaller apertures (nothing ridiculous, 1/640 s and f/5.6 or so) while wide open, everything was fine. Sure enough, the lever which controls the aperture is a bit »sticky«. Not to the degree that it's no longer functioning, but apparently it's too slow to set the right aperture.

So what should/can I do? There is a Nikon service center in town, but I'm fairly certain what their response is (full service, full charge), and given that the last repair costs me € 200, I am not sure whether it's worth it financially. Do you guys have any ideas?

2. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Are there any independent repair shops around ?

3. OreoCookie thread starter macrumors 68030

I was trying the largest used camera store here in Fukuoka and they said they don't do repairs. There is a second one I'll try next weekend, and I'll definitely try to have someone knowledgable fix it. But if push comes to shove, I just want to know whether there are any other ways to fix it.