Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have a new 16" MacBook Pro i9. The following service is taking huge amounts of CPU for the last 18 hours since I bought it. com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService. also, making the computer run hotter than it should. Anyone know if this is just temporary or something is wrong? Thanks

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
My guess - It sounds like your MacBook Pro is syncing your Photos/Videos to iCloud, which is normal on a new computer. If you open the Photos app, and in the left pane click Photos under library, and scroll to the bottom, you may see some sort of message like "Updating", or "downloading xxx photos", etc. Note this only happens if the MacBook Pro is plugged into juice and on WiFi. “com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService” is doing exactly what it describes – any videos that aren’t in a compatible format for iCloud are being converted in the background while you’re trying to get other work done.

This will all go away once your Photos (which includes Videos) are sync'd. For me it took about 2-3 days (it does it in the background so it can take longer if you are using your MacBook Pro a lot of the day). I have about 100 videos and 20,000 photos.

Reactions: teerexx52

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
My guess - It sounds like your MacBook Pro is syncing your Photos/Videos to iCloud, which is normal on a new computer. If you open the Photos app, and in the left pane click Photos under library, and scroll to the bottom, you may see some sort of message like "Updating", or "downloading xxx photos", etc. Note this only happens if the MacBook Pro is plugged into juice and on WiFi. “com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService” is doing exactly what it describes – any videos that aren’t in a compatible format for iCloud are being converted in the background while you’re trying to get other work done.

This will all go away once your Photos (which includes Videos) are sync'd. For me it took about 2-3 days (it does it in the background so it can take longer if you are using your MacBook Pro a lot of the day). I have about 100 videos and 20,000 photos.
You were absolutely correct. Thank you

Reactions: donawalt

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The thing is, I have the same issue but I do not use photos in the cloud. com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService starts running whenever I edit one photo and then it keeps running sometimes for hours after I even quit Photos.

Reactions: Schwyz and susanb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.