Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Here is exactly what is needed to make a successful payment.

1 - Tell the clerk you will be using Apple Pay so he can turn on NFC if necessary.

2 - Hold the top of the phone one or two inches from the Apple Pay logo = )))

3 - Wait for the Apple Pay screen to appear on your phone.

4 - Lay your thumb on the Home button and wait for the vibration.

Two modifications to above for a truly successful and faster Apple Pay transaction: 1) Do not mention "Apple Pay" but do say you'll be paying with credit. Too many clerks are uneducated about Apple Pay and some (especially those in Subways) will see your phone and assume you're trying to scan the QR code, and 2) if you're paying with your default card, it's not necessary to wait for the Apple Pay screen to appear before putting your thumb on the home button. You can lay your thumb on the home button and bring to the reader, and this will automatically make the payment with your default card. You do as you suggested in #3 only if you want to pay with a different card from the default one, in which case you can tap on the default card and it'll show all the available cards to choose from before you authorize with TouchID.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Two modifications to above for a truly successful and faster Apple Pay transaction: 1) Do not mention "Apple Pay" but do say you'll be paying with credit. Too many clerks are uneducated about Apple Pay and some (especially those in Subways) will see your phone and assume you're trying to scan the QR code, and 2) if you're paying with your default card, it's not necessary to wait for the Apple Pay screen to appear before putting your thumb on the home button. You can lay your thumb on the home button and bring to the reader, and this will automatically make the payment with your default card. You do as you suggested in #3 only if you want to pay with a different card from the default one, in which case you can tap on the default card and it'll show all the available cards to choose from before you authorize with TouchID.
I hear what you are saying. I put the pause in because it will keep anyone from invoking Siri if they press too early or too hard. It basically idiot proofed it for me.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes it was, but no one on this forum could tell me how to solve the problem. I should not have to visit the Genius Bar to figure out how to use something that is suppose to be simple.

Well, the rest of us are managing without a trip to the Genius Bar for a personal tutorial. ;) :) :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I hear what you are saying. I put the pause in because it will keep anyone from invoking Siri if they press too early or too hard. It basically idiot proofed it for me.

No, you trigger Siri only if you actually press the button. Just lay the thumb on the home button but don't actually press. What you did was simply user error and the same thing would happen if you actually press the button after Apple Pay screen appears so not really idiot proof.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Well, the rest of us are managing without a trip to the Genius Bar for a personal tutorial. ;) :) :D
So in other words I am the only person in the whole world who could not figure it out? How come no one on this forum could explain it to me?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So in other words I am the only person in the whole world who could not figure it out? How come no one on this forum could explain it to me?

So your problems were you accidentally triggered Siri by pushing it too hard and may not have been close enough to the reader for the Apple Pay screen to appear, which are nothing more than user errors. Plenty of posters correctly explained about your first problem as illustrated below, but I guess you had to learn about being close to the reader the hard way, although one member did suggest opening up Passbook which could have helped your situation.

Your problem is you pushed the home key. You only need to place your finger on it like touchID. I bet you just had a brain fart.

Just rest your finger on the home button, exactly how you unlock your phone.

If you keep getting Siri, you are doing it wrong.

op if you push to the point where Siri comes up or even the home screen if the phone is locked just open up passbook and apple pay will appear looking to OK the transaction.

Once siri start, its a pain to stop it.

Think thats the issue. Just don't press home (long time = siri), as touchid imlkies; just touch

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Happened to me today. Worked at Popeyes before. Usually I put the phone near the NFC and the phone would come on to use Touch ID. Today, nothing. hovered over half a dozen times, store clerk was moving the NFC around. I went into passbook to the credit card, checked Apple Pay settings. Nada. End up using CC and signing. Lame.

I think my problem was the NFC wasn't on or broken. They select credit on their part once I paid with Apple Pay from my previous transactions.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes it was, but no one on this forum could tell me how to solve the problem. I should not have to visit the Genius Bar to figure out how to use something that is suppose to be simple.
Do be fair to those who tried to help you. Four posts outlined what you finally learned as JayLenochiniMac quoted.

You also threw people off by claiming you'd tried every combination, I think people probably assumed you'd tried it with the phone right next to the terminal since you'd tried every combination.

BTW, Apple does specifically mention contactless payments require close proximity of an inch or so. It's in The Friendly Manual, page 125/126:
To pay with your default card, hold iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with your finger on TouchID about an inch (or 2.5 cm) away from the symbol on the reader, until iPhone vibrates. You see the card onscreen with a Done checkmark when the card information has been transmitted to the merchant. Or you can start by holding iPhone near a reader until the screen asks you to authenticate with Touch ID or your passcode, then hold iPhone near the reader again to pay.

Use another card. Hold iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus near the reader until your default card appears. Tap the card to reveal all your cards in Passbook, tap the card you want to use, then place your finger on TouchID and hold iPhone near the reader until you feel it vibrate. Keep iPhone near the reader until you see the Done checkmark that indicates the card information has been transmitted to the merchant.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.