Problem with Apple Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doctheseus, Mar 5, 2013.

1. doctheseus macrumors newbie

So I went ahead and bought the ATD for 799 $ at best buy after they price matched mine, have been using it with my Macbook pro early 2011 for almost 2 months, i have been encountering a problem when ever my Macbook pro goes to sleep i have to open the lid again and disconnect the thunderbolt cord again and reconnect it, it has been really inconvenient to do that, does any of you guys have fix for this...please help me out...

2. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

This sort of problem has been a source of great frustration for many owners of this wonderful external monitor/docking station. I have found no solution. I am in the habit now of shutting down before I connect, booting after I am connected, and rebooting if there is one of these "sleep events" or for some unkown reason the usb ports stop working.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have my MBA set to never sleep when connected to power.

/Jim

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah. Unfortunately this is the only real "solution."

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

The solution is to do a fresh install on your thunderbolt mac. I owned a few thunderbolt laptops and notice some had the problem and some didn't. My suggestion although extreme will resolve your problem. Enjoy!

----------

See my comment.

----------

See my comment.

----------

See my comment.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had a 13" 2011 MBP and now a 13" 2012 MBA, and use(d) both with my TBD and never had this problem. What kind of KB and mouse are you using and how are they connected?

I use a Apple wireless KB and one tap on the KB wakes mine up every time.

7. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

With all due respect I think if you search the Apple Support Forum on this topic you will see that there are indeed a large number of people that have problems of various kinds along these lines with the TBD. I have tried a reinstall and it did not solve my particular problem. I have been to the genius bar and they verified but were unable to solve the problem. It is difficult because it is intermittent. There are a variety of suggested solutions that work from some people and not for others.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your comment was directed at me, I did not mean in any way to discount OP's problem. I was only saying it does work for me and was trying to see what OP might be doing differently that is causing a problem.