Problem with application icon in the dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcdx, Jun 2, 2010.

1. jcdx macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am very new to Apple and Mac.
    I tried to change the application icons in the dock. I did it as I read it in the net.
    Right klick the application folder (Finder) -> Get info -> copied the desired icon from somewhere -> cmd+v to change the icon
    That actually worked out.
    But now the strange part. When I drag the icon into the dock it automatically changes into the "Address Book" icon. What could have happend? All other icons I changed work.
    To have the "Address Book" icon for the application folder in the dock is really annoying. Also deleting the icon completely did not work out.

I am grateful for all suggestions.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If I'm getting you correctly, you are looking for this:

Right click on the Address Book icon (or the Application Stack) and select 'Display as' 'Folder'.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Right click on the Applications folder icon in the Dock and select DISPLAY AS FOLDER, maybe that changes the icon in the Dock to your chosen icon.

[​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...because you now have it set to 'Stack'. The way it interprets that, the first item in the actual folder will appear in the Dock. A Stack is just a representation of a Folder in the Dock. Thus, the Display As Stack option is rather clumsily named. It should say Display > First Item or > As Folder.