Problem with apps quitting and I have to Force Quit

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MizMacFrog, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MizMacFrog macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem with several apps just suddenly quitting. This includes Microsoft Word, Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox, TextEdit. I have to Force Quit, but when I restart the apps, the same thing happens again.

Sometimes I've had to power down, 2 or 3 times, to get the Mac up and running again.

Also, I recently purchased a Toshiba external drive to use with Time Machine, and it drops off periodically. Just disconnects. I have to turn the drive on and off to get it going again.

But the apps quitting started happening before I got the external drive.

Help, anyone?

I have Intel Mac running Snow Leopard with 4 GB RAM. All the apps are updated.

Sandy

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

OK most simple option first. Have you tried repairing permission yet?

3. MizMacFrog thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't even know what that is. I'll search and see if I can find it.

Thanks,

Sandy

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Just open up the Disk Utility app and select your main partition from the list on the left. On the bottom of the screen that shows to the right there will be a button near the bottom that says Repair Disk Permissions.

6. MizMacFrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Repair Disk Permissions

Okay, I did that. Here are the results. What does this mean and what should I do about it? Could this be the cause of the apps quitting? I haven't learned enough yet about Macs.

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Repaired "usr/share/derby".
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. MizMacFrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Thanks for all your help. I'm still having problem, apps are still quitting. I've tried to restart Firefox a few times tonight, and it won't even start now, so I'm in Safari. Don't know how long that will last.

This iMac is so slow, even with 4 GB RAM, that it drives me nuts waiting for things to happen. I can't seem to get away from computer problems, doesn't matter whether it's a PC or Mac.

I'll keep searching for answers. And any more help or ideas as to the causes would be appreciated.

Sandy

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Ok well open up Activity Monitor and select All Processes in the drop down list at the top. Next click on the %CPU column so the arrow points down so it shows the highest percent processes at the top. Anything showing there that catches your eye? Or better yet can you post a screenshot of Activity Monitor for us? There has to be something there eating up your CPU cycles if your system is so slow.

10. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Disk Utility > Repair Permissions, will ONLY repair permissions for Apple installed apps and folders.

From the Apple support page:
    So if the problem doesn't reside within the system software (per se), don't expect to get anything solved this way. You do mention other issues besides these apps quitting problems that makes me wonder if your ripe for a backup of your files and clean install.

JC