Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Can anyone who is using this card let me know if they have had issues with CS4. I'm trying to determine if this related to the video card.

Problem: When I try to view a slide show or do a full screen view all I get is a grey screen, pictures do not display. The Radeon HD3870 Mac & PC edition meets Adobe's specs for Photoshop and Bridge CS4. Adobe has tested the 3870 with Windows but not with OS X.

Adobe's documentation lists Bridges GPU functions as

Preview Panel
Full-screen preview
Slideshow
Review Mode

Only the Preview Panel is working correctly.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb404898
http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405711

Here are my system specs:
MacPro 2 dual-core processors 2.66 GHz
5 GB of certified memory
ATI Radeon HD 3870 Mac and Windows edition
the vidio card has 512 MB of VRAM

I'm running OS X 10.5.5

The driver that is installed is the original from the disk. I could not find an updated driver on ATI's site or Apples site.

My system info shows two listings for the HD 3870, both in slot 1. The first has display for type and yes for driver installed. The second lists ATY, MegaledonParent as type and no for driver installed.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
The only installable driver is the one on the disc, and I'm using that. If there will be updates I think they'll probably come as part of OS X updates.

I have had one issue with CS4 which I posted about in a couple other threads about the 3870. Unless I turn off the option "Use For Image Display" (under Preferences > Performance > GPU Settings > Advanced Settings), I get corruption in the gray background when I resize windows. It's pretty nasty. I can leave everything else on though and still receive most of the OpenGL benefits.

Attachments

• pscs4.gif
    pscs4.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 100

mikebore

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
The only installable driver is the one on the disc, and I'm using that. If there will be updates I think they'll probably come as part of OS X updates.

The drivers in 10.5.5 are newer the ones which came on the CD which came with my 3870, bought last week. You can run the 10.5.5 installer to reinstate the newer drivers if you already installed the ones on the CD. I did this (using the 10.5.5 combi)

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
It turns out I only have a problem with 2 monitors installed, my 30" ACD and an older Dell 20" widescreen. Once I disconnect the Dell the problem goes away. I haven't retested this since upgrading to 10.5.6, but if that doesn't solve the problem I'll try reinstalling my X1900 with both monitors. I find it hard to believe that the 3870 can't drive both monitors without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.