Problem with audio in ichat (while using video chat)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by petz0ldt, Dec 28, 2008.

1. petz0ldt macrumors member

Hey everyone, hope this is the right place for this thread. I have a unibody mbp and my girlfriend just bought a unibody macbook. We are trying to use the video chat feature in ichat and have been having some trouble with the audio. when we start the video chat everything will work perfectly but after a couple minutes of talking she will all of the sudden not be able to hear me talking on her end of things. i am not accidently muting it on my side or anything and if i go into the sound section in system prefs the microphone appears to be working. If i restart my computer and we start the video chat agian it will work for a while again and then cut out. O and i can hear her the entire time she just cant hear me. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hmm...that's pretty interesting...

Just to test things out, try installing Skype on both and use that...if it still happens on that...I'm not sure what the problem would be...

Hope this helps...

3. petz0ldt thread starter macrumors member

before she bought her macbook she was using my old computer (a dell inspiron 600m) i replaced with my mbp, we used skype several times between my mbp and that computer with a usb webcam and everything worked fine. ill have her download skype on the new macbook and test that out though. thank you

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, my girlfriend and I also have some problems with iChat as well, but not the same problem that you are having. So we use Skype pretty much for all of our video chat sessions. Long distance relationships suck...but I love her :)

5. petz0ldt thread starter macrumors member

ok i we figured it out, here is what was wrong. Her computer was entirely muted (to be fair this is her first mac) and it would not not unmute. when she pressed the volume buttons the volume icon would pop up and underneath it there was a circle with a line through it. no matter how many times she pressed volume up or down the circle with the line through it stayed there. so after a few google searches i found some people who experienced the same problem and some of them said it could be solved by simply plugging in some headphones and then unplugging them. she tried it and it worked.

I know strange problem and strange solution, but it seems to be fixed for now hopefully it wont happen again.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh nice, that problem actually sounds familiar, but not for my MacBook, it was for my iPhone...basically it thought that headphones were plugged in, so I plugged in headphones and unplugged them, and sure enough, it worked. Glad you got it all sorted.

7. kraven macrumors newbie

I have a problem that is a bit different. I'm using a Macbook Pro Pre-Unibody. My friend is using a new Macbook Unibody. When we ichat, her audio goes up and down. Basically, I hear her for like 5 seconds and then the volume goes down and I can't hear her for the next 5 seconds, and then I can hear again and so on. I don't have this problem ichatting with other people. Is this an ongoing problem with the new mac unibody models?