Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
I just got my 7+ two nights ago. I had the Apple Store employee put the Belkin Invisiglass screen protector on in-store using their machine. It started lifting by the home button within 12 hours. I then went back to the store yesterday and they put another one on. Looked good. This morning I woke up and looked at the phone only to see it exhibiting the same problem in the same spot. Seems very odd.

Anyone else having a problem?

Attachments

• IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 722

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Mine got a tiny piece of pints or dust in that exact spots a few times and looked like that. I wasn't sure what was happening at first but then I removed the lint and it was fixed.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Had the same problem with mine. Started lifting around the home screen then cracked by the earpiece. Luckily it did it on the evening of the 14th day return policy.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
I went back to the store and got a new one put on today. This is now my third one. I'm going to take a picture of it before I put it on the charger for the night. If it is like this again in the morning I can only suspect the heat from the charging port is causing the glue to dry up which is causing the glass to lift. Just a suspicion of mine since it happened in the same place and both times I noticed it in the morning when pulling it off the charge.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Update. It looks to have peeled up a little bit. Not as bad as the other two. One main difference though is that my phone was at 70% when I went to bed so we didn't need to go to go through a full charging process. Going to see how it makes it through the day today and if it peels up anymore overnight into tomorrow morning.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Had the same problem with mine. Started lifting around the home screen then cracked by the earpiece. Luckily it did it on the evening of the 14th day return policy.

I'm definitely keeping a close eye on it and watching the date. Worst case scenario I will return it for a full refund and go with a different screen protector. I just think it is very funny to have happened to two screen protectors already and from what it looks like will be happening to this third one. In the same exact spot. So odd.

Reactions: danny8200

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Update. I am really frustrated. The third screen protector has now done the same thing the other two have. To recap, first one was put on Thursday evening. Peeled/lifted by Friday AM after a night on the charger. Second one was put on Friday afternoon. Peeled/lifted by Saturday day AM after a night on the charger. Third was put on Saturday afternoon. Had LIGHT peeling/lifting till last night but this morning looks just like the other two did.
3e756fc43ac5ceb650eae61d908c07d2.jpg

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
Update. I am really frustrated. The third screen protector has now done the same thing the other two have. To recap, first one was put on Thursday evening. Peeled/lifted by Friday AM after a night on the charger. Second one was put on Friday afternoon. Peeled/lifted by Saturday day AM after a night on the charger. Third was put on Saturday afternoon. Had LIGHT peeling/lifting till last night but this morning looks just like the other two did.
3e756fc43ac5ceb650eae61d908c07d2.jpg

Am I wrong, or it has a hair or something similar under the screen protector on that part??

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Am I wrong, or it has a hair or something similar under the screen protector on that part??

I thought the same thing but I think it's a reflection from the angle of the picture. As much as I tried to find a hair there there was nothing there.

I'm going back to the Apple Store tomorrow and I'm going to have them peel this thing off and give me a refund. Wow one would think that that is an immediate fix it unfortunately leaves me with no screen protector and I can't help but wonder that if this is in fact a heat problem by the charging port that is causing this it's going to happen again with a different screen protector.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
I returned the screen protector and got a refund this time. Went to the BestBuy and they put a Zagg on but it overhangs and has a halo. Looks too big for the screen.

Thekidtorres

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2013
I thought the same thing but I think it's a reflection from the angle of the picture. As much as I tried to find a hair there there was nothing there.

I'm going back to the Apple Store tomorrow and I'm going to have them peel this thing off and give me a refund. Wow one would think that that is an immediate fix it unfortunately leaves me with no screen protector and I can't help but wonder that if this is in fact a heat problem by the charging port that is causing this it's going to happen again with a different screen protector.

If I were you, I would request a refund for the iPhone, or at least that Apple take a look at your phone, it's obvious that the problem is your iPhone and not the screen protector brand..

Reactions: Will22

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If I were you, I would request a refund for the iPhone, or at least that Apple take a look at your phone, it's obvious that the problem is your iPhone and not the screen protector brand..

That is what I was thinking.

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Doesn't use glue, uses static to stick to the display. No adhesive.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I returned the screen protector and got a refund this time. Went to the BestBuy and they put a Zagg on but it overhangs and has a halo. Looks too big for the screen.

Get the Zagg HD Glass+ (Case Friendly version). No halos and no lifting. I installed mine several days ago and no issues whatsoever. The oleophobic coating is also top notch. best screen protector I have ever owned and used.

Make sure it says "case friendly" on the package.

MajesticNJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Central NJ
Get the Zagg HD Glass+ (Case Friendly version). No halos and no lifting. I installed mine several days ago and no issues whatsoever. The oleophobic coating is also top notch. best screen protector I have ever owned and used.

Make sure it says "case friendly" on the package.

I'll have to look into this. Best Buy tried to put on three different Zagg HD glass screen protector's and each one of them had a really bad halo and were overextended. After three tries they gave up.

I was disappointed because I've also used these on previous phones and love them.

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Interesting. Not sure why it keeps peeling up in the same place.
Is that not the location of the haptic engine? Perhaps it's to do with that, and the new home button design. It's worth noting I've not come across this problem with my Belkin glass cover from Apple on my 7 Plus. Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.