Problem with bootcamp-assistant

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Amedia, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Amedia macrumors newbie

I have been trying to get information on how to sort this problem on the net but none were relevant. My problem is that i got 3 hds and the one that im using(mac) is full. The other is windows installed somehow, not me who installed it though. So i went to bootcamp assistant to try fuse them back together and I get this error message.
    It says the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition as it must be formmated as Mac OS Extended ( journaled ) or already partitioned by bootcamp for installing windows. Is there a way without the original start disc because I cant find it!

Ty for all answers!:D

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you post a screenshot of the partition tab in Disk Utility we might be able to help you do it there.

What's not clear is that you imply 3 partitions ("hds") and then only talk about Mac OS X and Windows which makes two.

B

3. Amedia thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the view of my 3 hds, I did remove all files on the hardrives that wasn´t Mac OS X. You can also see the error message wich i´ve translated to "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition as it must be formmated as Mac OS Extended ( journaled ) or already partitioned by bootcamp for installing windows. Is there a way without the original start disc because I cant find it!"

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Post a screenshot of your partitions from Disk Utility, that will give us a clear view of how everything has been set up.

5. Amedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, great of you to mention the disc utility, I erased one of the windows partitions. After that I went to Bootcamp-assistant and then the it worked as it should, I could recreat the Mac OS X partition and remove the windows installation. Ty for your help!

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For the benefit of anyone following at home, Boot Camp Assistant only allows for one OS X partition that takes up the whole HDD or a split system with one OS X partition and one Windows partititon. Anything else it will not use. If you need multiple partitions to separate out your data, media, etc... you need to use Disk Utility to create or remove partitions.

B

7. calkc123 macrumors newbie

solved

go to disk utility then your hitachi drive then go to the partion tab ,slide the slider back to mac instead of windows then click partion and it puts it back to normal .:)