Problem with bootcamp need more space on HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lukester, Jun 11, 2014.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

My windows 7 keep growing so now I want to increase the size of my bootcamp partition. I made a win clone backup and somewhere I messed up the HD partition.
    I tried deleting the bootcamp and making the entire drive OS then I was going to make a new larger partition but I get an error message and can't do it.

What do I do next. reformat the HD and reload my OS backup on it and try again?

I have a carbon copy clone of the OS partition on a bootable external HD.
    How do I format the internal HD? boot from the external?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot delete/recreate the bootcamp partition via the Bootcamp assistant, then the simplest solution is to back up your system, reformat and start over. You have a CCC backup so restore that and rerun the bootcamp assistant.

3. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

When I try using the bootcamp assistant it asks for the Windows 7 dvd and since I don't want to start from scratch I stop trying that idea
    Is there another way around the bootcamp assistant that i don't see?

----------

Installer disk cannot be found.
    What if I put the windows 7 disk in will it give me other options before it starts the installation?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What exactly are you looking to do.

Your posts have further confused me.

Your OP stated that you want to resize your bootcamp partition but Bootcamp assistant isn't letting you (presumably because your main drive is too fragmented and it cannot move things around to properly change the partition size).

I stated the simplest solution was to reformat and restore your CCC backup and then run bootcamp solution.

Are you looking to reinstall windows in your existing partition or reallocate the size for your windows partition.

There are ways to install windows without bootcamp, but to be honest, the easiest approach is just to wipe and start over. You'll be done well before you finish those other work arounds.

5. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran out of HD space on my windows partition. I had only 50 gigs now I want to go to 75 or so, I have a 500 gig SSD with over 300 gig used on the Mac side.

I copied the window side using win clone. but its possible I screwed up with that. Hope not.
    Now I tried to re partition the HD for one partition but I get an error message.
    So now I think I need to erase the HD and reinstall MAC backup. Then make another partition for the win clone windows backup. Or do I use bootcamp to do that? I don't want a fresh install for windows, but if I messed up my backup I guess I will have to.
    Do I boot up using the R key for recovery and erase the erase the HD, format it from there?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Boot up from your Carbon Copy Cloned image, Repartition to a single partition, then restore your CCC backup
    Reboot back into your restored image and start the bootcamp assistant process to recreate the bootcamp partition.

I'm not sure how winclone works but either reinstall windows and restore using the winclone app, or restore the winclone backup.

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I booted from my backup.. Erased the Mac hd and now using CCC I was going to copy over the files but the name of my back up HD is different than the HD on my Mac. It comes up with a caution window saying some files are different on backup than Mac hd.. well there is nothing on my Mac hd now.. duh..

8. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I am now re installing, see what happens. If it looks good then I will try to use bootcamp to make a windows partition then copy by backup over. I hope.

9. krawfo macrumors regular

10. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502