Problem with Bootcamp using Windows XP Upgrade Disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by illinois2011, Sep 11, 2009.

1. illinois2011 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I was using bootcamp to install Windows XP on my new 13" Unibody Macbook Pro I just got today. The problem is that it is an upgrade disc. At one point in the installation it requests that I insert a copy of an older version of Windows to verify that I qualify for the upgrade. I have a copy of Windows 98 which would work, except that I cannot eject the disc. I don't know if the Bootcamp isn't giving the Windows installer the proper drivers to accept the eject button on the keyboard or what. Please help as every time I reboot my computer it now goes into the Windows setup process.

2. illinois2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I got the disc out by holding down the mouse button while restarting but I still would like to know how to install Windows.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Read the install guide, might have saved yourself some trouble by checking the compatibility of the disc first. Take note of page 4 where it lists what you need.

4. illinois2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I read a forum somewhere where a guy used an external drive to insert the other disc, but I think I'll just wait now until I buy Windows 7 in late October. I was just wanting to try it out.