Problem with changing key code for microsoft office when reinstalling

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DMOC, Aug 25, 2010.

1. DMOC macrumors newbie

Hello,

I installed Microsoft Office 2008 on my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, I soon realized that I used an incorrect key code since the person who gave me the Office 2008 was already using the key.

So I thought I would uninstall the program and reinstall it, this time just using a different key. (There were three keys available, with the other guy using up two of them.) Unfortunately, when I reinstall, I find that I can't change the key code that I used.

How do I solve this?

(I uninstalled it by dragging all the Office icons to the trash then emptying the trash, but I'm not sure if that completely uninstalled the application.)

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well first off, you should have run the uninstaller that Microsoft Office supplies in the Additional Tools folder. But the reason for the product key problem is that the file that stores the product key information and settings, is still on your hard drive:

Above quote taken from: http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/MacOtherProducts/291

3. DMOC thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ... I didn't know there was an uninstaller folder. I searched online about how to uninstall programs on a mac and all I got was "drag to trash" so that's what I did.

Anyway ... I have another issue. I click on the "apple" icon on the top left corner (which I assume is the "finder"), and go to "Recent Items" -> "Applications" but there is no Microsoft Office 2008. There is "Microsoft Word" listed, as well as "Microsoft Office Setup Assistant." :confused:

4. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

'Any Microsoft Office Application' refers to:
    Microsoft Entourage
    Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft Messenger
    Microsoft PowerPoint
    Microsoft Word

Open any of those applications and the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant should open.

5. DMOC thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies for my confusion,

I was successfully able to uninstall Microsoft Office 2008 by using the Remove Office folder.

So now with that done, I decided to see what would happen if I reinstalled it. Doesn't work - I can't change the key. In the third step of installation, I am always given the product key ahead of time - I can't change it.

So I uninstall it again, and look to follow the advice you gave me in my first post.

However, I am now unable to do the first 2 things you said (Office PID and Microsoft Office 2008 Settings) because I can't find the folders, possibly because I clicked "empty trash." (By the way, where do I go to to get "Select -> Users -> Username -> Library, etc." since I don't see a "Select" menu at all?)

6. DMOC thread starter macrumors newbie

7. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The Users folder is on your Hard Drive.
    Picture 1.png

Once you open your Users Folder, Double Click on your username and navigate until you reach the Office 2008 Folder. Delete the Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist and then relaunch any Application related to Office 2008.
    Picture 2.png

EDIT:
    Yeah, finding file directories can be confusing. Glad you found the file.