Problem with charger or computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mrkramer, Sep 26, 2012.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've got a macbook air and unfortunately it's out of applecare so I can't get help there. Anyway recently it has started to not always charge when it is plugged in, and there is no light on the power cord. However it will sometimes randomly start charging again, it does this in different plugs and different buildings so I know it isn't just a problem with the plug it's put into. My guess is that there is a bad connection somewhere, I'm just not sure if it is in the computer itself or if the charger has just gone bad on me, I'm thinking it's probably the computer since it sometimes just shuts off even if the battery still has charge and it's plugged in. Any ideas, is this a problem with the computer itself, or do I just need to buy a new charging cable?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Gosh a post like this and immediately I have 10,000 questions 4ru.

How old is this notebook?

Do u regularly use it on battery power or it mostly plugged in to AC?

Do u wish to volunteer more info, like did u buy it new? have u (hardware) upgraded it in any way? What OS version are u running? The best u can remember, what has happened (changes) since it worked and now it doesn't? Ever spilled any liquid on it?

Can u tell us how many charge-cycle in that battery? SystemInformation -> Power. Better yet, post a screenshot of that page and post.

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

The computer is about 3 and a half years old, I use it both on battery and AC regularly, not really one more than the other. It's listing 737 for the cycle count. I bought it as a refurbished computer from Apple, never had any liquid spilled on it, but before applecare ran out it did have the logic board replaced (a little over a year ago) and the fans were replaced under warranty as well, besides that its never been opened up. The OS is 10.8.2, and it did work fine for a while under 10.8 so it isn't just the battery problems some people were having.

There weren't any changes in how the computer was used between when it was last working properly and when it started acting weird other than my university making me install antivirus software, but I don't think that would be related.

4. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

It's most likely the charger. It could be from tugging the cord without knowing it. It has happened to me too. My advice is pick up another charger. If it solves your problem great. If it doesn't (which I doubt) return it and you will know its your computer.

You can even bring it into one of the apple stores and use the plugs on their laptop to test your machine.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery health, charge level, cycles, etc.

Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Very good.

At 700+ cycles, the battery is getting up there, plan for a replacement in the near future.

One more question, have u noticed changes as far it's taking longer/faster now than before to get a full charge? Not expecting u to stop watch this process but if u notice do share. Inconsistent charge interval, specially when all of a sudden, it gives u a full charge very quickly signals a worn battery.

But yes, like others mentioned, I would borrow another charger to test. I personally can't live with just one charger. :)