Problem with charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by germandawg, Jul 22, 2009.

1. germandawg macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with my laptop that I hope someone can help with.

My macbook has shutdown twice in the past few weeks because the battery level was too low even though the charger was plugged in. When the computer is working with the charger attached and plugged in the battery icon usually has the normal picture but at times in the last few months I have noticed that it sometimes shows a battery with that is about half charged. The machine shut down two days ago and I have only been able to get it restarted once. When I was able to the battery icon indicated that the charger was attached and charging but when I moved the computer the green light on the charger (where it plugs into the computer) went off and the battery icon indicated that the battery was about 50% charged. When I unplugged the charger to determine if it did not have power to it the icon changed to red. When I plugged the charger back in it returned to about 50%charged. The LED on the charger does not come on and when I disconnect the charger the battery icon again shows red and the machine shuts down. I can't get the machine to turn on now even with the charger attached. I assume that the charger is bad. Is this the case, or could it be a battery issue? Any suggestions?

2. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

This could be a faulty charger or charger port. Apple have been known to replace the chargers free of charge so try an apple store. However this is only with alu macbooks.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...no. If a charger is faulty you've got grounds for a replacement no matter what type of Mac you're on.