Problem with charging while travelling

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mooreman, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mooreman macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm new here to this forum and also a new Ipod user. I sort of fell into this by chance when I was looking for a replacement for my 4-year-old Dell Axim(X50v) pocket pc, and bought this 8gb Touch to just handle music/video/audiobooks and man I was suprised by the functionality of this thing and how close it comes to being a fully functioning pda. In fact, really the only 2 issues I have is that there's not a seamless way to view documents offline (so far I've had to email them to myself, with marginal results) and the other curious thing is that this Touch doesn't charge in my car using my Black & Decker power inverter with a usb slot for just that purpose (the Ipod doesn't even register that there's anything plugged in to it), AND I have a rechargeable power brick that is more or less the same thing as the inverter (just portable) and the Ipod treats it the same. I know both of those options charge other devices like my cell phone, but the Ipod apparently doesn't like the voltage or something, however it WILL charge thru the cigarette charger using an extra charge cable I bought, but there's signifigant line noise using it that way. Has anybody found a good way to do this that doesn't involve great expense (i.e. retail from Apple's store)? Thanks in advance!

2. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Not sure what you mean by "but there's signifigant line noise". There's this http://www.calcellular.com/ipod-cc.html?gclid=CNa8_cy14pECFQgRGgodv3bCfg for pretty cheap.

3. mooreman thread starter macrumors newbie

By that I mean that there's a high pitched whine when using the (and I guess I didn't mention this before - duh....sorry) headphone jack with a passthru cable to directly plug into the auxiliary audio in jack on my car stereo. The whine is more pronounced the faster you go or the louder you turn up the volume. I used to have that problem with my Axim when it was being charged thru the cigarette lighter adapter, but I fixed that by buying the power inverter and charging with my wall charger instead of the cigarette adapter. My extra charger for the Ipod is a usb w/removeable cigarette charger adapter, and that's the one that's causing the noise. Thanks for the link though, it just seems strange to me that the ipod won't charge thru the usb port on either my power brick or the inverter I bought.

4. fandsw macrumors regular

Mine charges ok thru USB, with the USB plugged into a 12V Car to USB adaptor. As for the whining noise, that could be a problem with the car itself and not the iPod. For example, my 07 Toyota RAV4 had this issue, and Toyota issued a TSB for this, allowing dealers to fix the problem. You can also buy a ground loop isolater that will also fix the problem, but check with your car manufacturer first.