Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jld7f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
hey,
i have a macbook pro. i run lion and everything is up to date software wise. I am having an issue connecting to the wifi at my school. My wifi works fine EVERYWHERE else, but at school, the only website that will load (albeit at dial up speed) is the school's website. The IT guys at school had no idea what the matter is, and tried restarting my comp, restarting safari, using different internet browser, making sure the advanced settings and so forth were right......long story short, my computer still will not work at school. I used it at school fine for the last 7 months and all of a sudden this happens.

when i pull up safari at school sometimes the apple home page will pull up, but most times not and when i click on mtsu.edu it will pull up....but any other page just seems to literally load forever with nothing ever coming on the screen. it does not say "you are not connected to the internet" or anything like that, it just pretends or tries to load.

Any suggestions?

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

Sounds like an internal problem on their end. Perhaps they have firewall set up and or allowing students to go to selected websites. Your Mac is fine as it has nothing to do with why you can't surf the internet. It basically sounds like someone in your school's IT dept messed up royally.

I would recommend they shut off restrictions to what websites you can go to and allow for more connections to take place. Again, I am not there so I am sorry I can't be of much more help than this. But its NOT your computer, so don't worry.

hey,
i have a macbook pro. i run lion and everything is up to date software wise. I am having an issue connecting to the wifi at my school. My wifi works fine EVERYWHERE else, but at school, the only website that will load (albeit at dial up speed) is the school's website. The IT guys at school had no idea what the matter is, and tried restarting my comp, restarting safari, using different internet browser, making sure the advanced settings and so forth were right......long story short, my computer still will not work at school. I used it at school fine for the last 7 months and all of a sudden this happens.

when i pull up safari at school sometimes the apple home page will pull up, but most times not and when i click on mtsu.edu it will pull up....but any other page just seems to literally load forever with nothing ever coming on the screen. it does not say "you are not connected to the internet" or anything like that, it just pretends or tries to load.

Any suggestions?

jld7f

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
thanks a lot powerpcpacman,

they told me there were no restrictions and said it was probably on their end, but i just didn't know if anyone had had any similar things happen.

thanks again.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
AFAIK, anything like what you described is an internal problem on their end, not with your system. Can you connect to other wifi spots outside of your school? Then its not on your end.

As I said, someone in IT must have done something stupid to cause this problem. If I was there I'd probably have it fixed in no time, but I am not.. so you need to get on them hard to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.