Problem with Contacts in iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by gblais, Oct 12, 2011.

1. gblais macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Desperate (and recent) iPhone convert here. Just came off the blackberry and hoped I wouldn't have to deal with any crap...lo and behold here I am.

Now that iMessage is out I'm wanting to use it preferentially, but when I start a conversation with someone via Contacts or by keying in their name in Messages, it stores the conversation under their number i.e., +1 (519) 555-4444 instead of by name i.e., John Doe. I've tried deleting all conversations, deleting the contact and re-adding them and still nothing. It shows me the number instead of the person. When I have a text conversation with someone, I don't have this problem.

Any ideas to help me out? The net is giving me nothing...

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm having a problem with iMessage, too. Give it a day, see how things shake out. A friend is trying to message me but iMessage is not an option. :(

3. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Is that number in your address book under the person's name exactly as the number appears?

4. gblais thread starter macrumors newbie

precisely... I've tried with multiple people.

I found some indication that this was a bug in the beta version 1...doesn't seem like this is a common problem though.

5. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I have never had that issue, but I would try changing the international code format. I am not sure why it would be the case but it couldn't hurt to play around with the "1" and "+1"

6. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

When in doubt, reboot & reinstall & set up as new.