Problem with CoPilot freezing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ziffos, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ziffos macrumors member

ziffos

I have now tried everything I know but to no avail :confused:

I turn on my Copilot UK & NI version (bought new from apps store) and whether I set it to guide me to a destination or just track (follow the road on the map screen) it FREEZES after about 10 minutes of driving.

Can anyone help me please by telling me what I can do to stop this happening or what am I doing wrong?

I must stress that I am out in the countryside and therefore do NOT suffer from "urban canyons".

Remedies I have tried already:-

Ensure all other apps are closed.
    Ensure I have a "good" satallite signal BEFORE I begin my journey.
    Tried many different positions both on sreen bracket and on air vent bracket.
    Tried both with and without a phone case.
    Deleted any other sat nav apps (USA) that I had installed in my phone.
    Deleted ALL other apps from my phone except the UK sat nav app.
    Tried with the phone fully charged or indeed charging during the driving.
    Totally deleted the sat nav app and then re-downloaded from fresh.

My phone is a brand new 3GS 16GB bought from o2.

Please help me :eek:

2. ziffos thread starter macrumors member

ziffos

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You seem to have gone to some lengths already to see if you can find the issue. Most of the things you've done shouldn't make a difference to an app freezing (charging, cases etc won't affect a freeze) even setting off without a solid lock shouldn't be a hassle as I often do and within 100m of setting off I've got a solid lock...

The only thing I can think of is your statement about the air vent holder, but as you've used a bracket also it may be no help... but if you've got your heaters on full belt in the current cold climate and the vents are pointing at your phone, then it may well freeze from overheating. But it's just a guess sadly.

I did move my bracket slightly as one of the top dash vents on my Mini was aimed at my iPhone, and with charging, bluetooth, 3G, CoPilot & iPod all on/playing, over heating would be a possibility with a hot vent aiming at it.

If that's not the case (and as you've reinstalled the app) I'd contact the CoPilot folks for advice.

4. ziffos thread starter macrumors member

ziffos

Thank you Piarco for your reply and I have to say that I did consider the heater "possibility" but having tried so many positions - dash board top, right hand side, centre, car warm, car cold etc, etc I feel I can rule out this aspect.

I have contacted the makers - ALK - with my "little" problem but so far they have not found the time to reply to me. :(