Problem with copying music into itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Forest91, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Often when I drag a folder containing music into itunes I get a duplicate of each song, which is a real pain when there are say, 400 songs in the folder. Anyone know a way around this, or why it happens?
    Thanks

2. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. I just copied another folder in again and there were no duplicates. All I'm doing is dragging the folder on to the itunes icon, I don't understand what's going on when it goes wrong

3. steveca macrumors 6502

if it happens click on file > show duplicates and then manually delete them. If you sort them alphabetically it is easy to check them out and to select them

4. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Maybe you have iTunes configured to "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the Advanced tab options, and your music folder is different from your input directory. Look at the Information window for each iTunes item that has been duplicated. Are they <File> and <File (1)> duplicates in the same directory or are they in different directories?

5. nutman macrumors regular

usually when that happens to me, it is because there is a playlist file (i don't know the file extension off the top of my head), but it will import a second set of the songs if it is present.