Problem with creating a partition "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msstortuga, Oct 5, 2009.

1. msstortuga macrumors newbie

Hey

So, I am in the process of attempting to partition my disc so that I can boot windows XP.

Know that I am in no way even a capable mac user, so I might be a bit slow... sorry.

During the partitioning process, using boot camp, I get a message saying that I need to reformat my disc so that it is a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disc. So, I go to my Disc Utility, and it says it already is a Mac OS extended bla bla bal. So, my question is
    Why will it not let me partition, and do I really need to reformat my everthing eventhough it already is in the format it wants to be in?

Id really appreciate yalls help!!

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. msstortuga thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try just reformatting my system, see if it likes it better...

Next question though, I am new to Time Machine, once it has backed up everything, and i reformat, I can just have it restore everything from time machine right?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You need to go to the "Partition" tab in DisK Utility and select "1 Partition" from the drop-down list and Apply.

You'll have to do this after booting to your install disc. Back up first because this will erase everything on the hard drive.

5. msstortuga thread starter macrumors newbie

hang on Darth Titan, you talking about my original problem? or reformating then restoring using Time Machine?

I am confused as to what you are telling me to do, will do