Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
I'm trying to do the free ringtone "hack" where I change te file extension. I'm using iTunes 7.4.1. I edited the Guns N' Roses song "There Was A Time" down to 25 seconds in Garage Band, exported it to the desktop, changed the file extension to .m4r, opened iTunes, and then went to the iTunes Ringtone folder and changed the extension back to .m4a. When I plug the iPhone in it says the ringtone is available to sync, so I sync it. What happens is I'm not getting any sound when someone calls me. I don't understand why. I followed the instructions, yet something must be going wrong...

Anyone have any thoughts?

fj2007cruiser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Long Island NY
I'm trying to do the free ringtone "hack" where I change te file extension. I'm using iTunes 7.4.1. I edited the Guns N' Roses song "There Was A Time" down to 25 seconds in Garage Band, exported it to the desktop, changed the file extension to .m4r, opened iTunes, and then went to the iTunes Ringtone folder and changed the extension back to .m4a. When I plug the iPhone in it says the ringtone is available to sync, so I sync it. What happens is I'm not getting any sound when someone calls me. I don't understand why. I followed the instructions, yet something must be going wrong...

Anyone have any thoughts?

I gave up doing it like that. It is hit and miss and no guarantees, so I reverted my iphone back to 1.0.2. Not unlocked ... just jailbreaked.
I use itoner with my mac and never had any issues. I even converted Sweet Child of Mine to a 20 sec ringtone and it sounds great. Never missed making a ringtone using itoner. For PC try using iphoneringtonemaker. It has a 3 use trial so at least you can make 3 tones and add fades ...whatever. These methods work very nicely vs wasting time with .m4a and .m4r where the tone would transfer but NEVER play.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
I gave up doing it like that. It is hit and miss and no guarantees, so I reverted my iphone back to 1.0.2. Not unlocked ... just jailbreaked.
I use itoner with my mac and never had any issues. I even converted Sweet Child of Mine to a 20 sec ringtone and it sounds great. Never missed making a ringtone using itoner. For PC try using iphoneringtonemaker. It has a 3 use trial so at least you can make 3 tones and add fades ...whatever. These methods work very nicely vs wasting time with .m4a and .m4r where the tone would transfer but NEVER play.

Man, I was so stoked about having "There Was A Time" on there. :(

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.