Problem with Dashboard: Frozen !?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Terwal, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Terwal macrumors regular

Hi,

Might be something I don't do (or do that I shouldn't) but my Dashboard widgets are "frozen" !?

I can see them, but I can not "interact" with them (for example key in a search in the Google widget; change the city for the weather widget)...

Has any of you experienced a similar issue ?

Any clue how to fix it ?

Thanks,

w.

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Does it happen if you add new widgets? Or is it restricted to the ones that were there originally?
    Does it happen in another account on the mac?

try removing the dashboard.plist at ~/library/preferences

3. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

It actually only happens to the existing ones (not to the one I add, if I add one).

I only use one account on my mac...

What is the dashboard.plist ? What does it do ? What would happen if I deleted it ?

Thanks...

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

You dont have to delete it, just drag it to your desktop. Log back out/in, and try dashboard. If nothing happened, you can simply put it back, and repalce over the one that has been created(OS X will create a .plist if it doesnt find the one that its looking for)

A .plist is short for preference file. It basically keeps you personnel preferences on a file or application. A good example, is that in the Safari folder, there is a bookmarks.plist. If you were to copy this .plist, and paste it onto another machine with the same version of safari, that safari would have your bookmarks. Its handy if some of your details dont come over in migration assistant. But plist can corrupt, and run bad, and stop an app from launching.

5. Terwal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... will try tonight and report back...

6. elivo macrumors newbie

It worked

Great!

If you move those files to the desktop, and reboot, it works perfectly (and those files are created again)

Thanks a lot!

Ivo