Problem with data backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheMotif, Dec 28, 2008.

1. TheMotif macrumors member

On Carbon Copy Cloner, I have selected Macintosh HD as the source disk and want to select a My Book external drive as the target disk; however, the My Book is grayed out under the Target Disk options. What is going on?

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Having never used CCC (Time Machine FTW), I can only suggest that maybe the target volume is not in the correct format????

What format is on the disk? Try putting it to HFS+

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I just formatted a spare external to simulate how most of them come out of the box carrying a PC format and partition map (FAT32 with an MBR partition map) and CCC will not recognize it. SuperDuper will not recognize it either BTW.

As was suggested above, your external disk apparently has never been formatted for Mac and is carrying a PC FAT32 format (as MyBook drives are out of the box). It needs to be formatted for use with a Mac for CCC to use it as a Target drive. It needs to be formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a "GUID" partition map in Disk Utility. Note that this will erase any contents that the drive may currently hold.

Do the following in this order to prepare it:
    • Select the disk in the left column of Disk Utility
    • Click the Partition tab at the top of the screen
    • Change the "Volume Scheme:" via the pulldown menu to "1 partition"
    • Click the "Options" button at the bottom
    • Select "GUID" in the window that appears. Click OK to dismiss the window
    • Give the drive a name and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the "Volume Information" section
    • Click "Apply", then click "Partition" in the confirmation window
    • Wait about 20 seconds or so and the drive will be ready for CCC (or any other Mac use)