Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
My iPhone displays the wrong time when the date and time are set to automatic. It's saying it is an hour earlier than it is.

I have turned the phone off and then turned it back on to see if it fixes this; what happens is the phone switches to the correct time for about 5-10 seconds and then goes back to the incorrect time.

I've read elsewhere that the phone automatically changes to whatever time your computer is when you sync it. I tried syncing the iPhone to my computer and nothing changed. I've had to manually change the time zone since I rely on my phone for my alarm to get me up in the morning.

This just started today. I don't know why... I had my phone charging from my computer and I switched to Windows a few times. Could that have somehow messed something up?

It's not the biggest problem in the world as it doesn't take much to manually go in and change to whatever timezone I am in, but still it'd be nice to have the phone do that for me...

rriggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Mine often shows an hour late. I have no idea why it works sometimes and not others, it makes me crazy because I can never trust it!! :eek:

chriswheat

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
I have no clue as to what is causing this exactly, but here are some thoughts:

Yesterday (Sunday) was the day that daylight saving time should have ended, which is when you would have set your clock back by an hour (of course because of our brilliant government, it didn't). It seems like too much of a coincidence that you're encountering this problem for the first time now. I would check on your computer to make sure that all daylight saving time settings are correct. It shouldn't matter since your iPhone is set to automatic, though.

It's also possible that someone at AT&T in your area didn't patch the system with new the new DST dates. I have no idea how the automatic time is sent to the iPhone (whether it's on a tower by tower basis or is system-wide). I do know that last week I flew into Atlanta from Chicago and the time changed from 8:30 (which it was) to 11:50. I suspect this is because the time at the tower was wrong. (??)

Regardless, check out your computer, see if anything is set wrong. Check the settings on the iPhone, make sure you're in the right time zone, try turning it off and back on.

Let us know what happens.

Also: where are you located? what time zone? and how near are you to another time zone?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Weird, it's gone back to normal. It must have been something to do with daylight savings. Thanks guys! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.