Problem with Dell 30" Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMM, Jun 14, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I bought two 30" displays for doing Windows SW development at work. I will usually have a couple forms, code windows and several Database windows opened and in use concurrently. They are configured as a single large screen (5120 x 1600). The displays were purchased (approximately) last May and September.

Yesterday I was dusting the right-hand screen and noticed an 1/8" gap, between bezel and the panel's upper-right corner. I carefully took the dust-cloth and lightly pressed the corner. I widened and felt pretty loose. I inspected other areas of the panel/bezel. There were two more that appeared similar, but there was a general 'loose' feeling. This was the newer of the two displays. I checked the other one. It too was loose, but not to the same degree.

These displays have not been moved since I bought them, except when I set them in position. I take good care of my equipment. I clean them with a soft dusting brush. I have a private office. So, I am positive they have not been the victim of abuse (at least since I received them).

I do not detect any issues with their functionality. It just seems like the panel does not sit securely in the frame. I know some of you have opted for the Dell, instead of some other displays, including the 30" ACD. So, this is just a heads-up.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Interesting. Have you called Dell and asked if they'd service them? One of attrative features of the dell display is that warranty extensions are much cheaper than Apple's as well.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

How does Dell's warranty compare with Apple's?

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

It is a similar type of arrangement. Dell will automatically add a basic extended warrantee to most business purchases. They figure it into the quoted price. The buyer gets an option to upgrade to a higher-level plan, but you usually cannot drop extended coverage entirely.