problem with digital camera

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xxgorskixx, Mar 2, 2010.

1. xxgorskixx macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    im trying to upload a video from my kodak usb camera M1093IS and i cant seem to find a way to do it. i plugged it in and i opened up imovie and my camera didnt show up. my camera also didnt show up on my desktop (which i understand to be normal since i used the search feature) but i still cant seem to find a way to do it. I need to upload a video for a school project so i need some help guys.
    thanks

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Digital still cams generally encode video clips using non-standard codecs that iMovie doesn't understand. However, in most cases, you should be able to convert the files to an editable format (like DV NTSC) using a free application like MPEG Streamclip.

3. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Unless you have the driver for the camera, it shouldn't be detected by the Mac because the camera isn't a regular storage device. Take the memory card out of the camera, put it in a card reader, and plug the card reader into the Mac. Use Finder to copy the files on the card to where you want them on the hard drive, and then import the video file that you want into iMovie.

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

If you don't have a card reader, you can check your USB settings on your camera. I've never used a Kodak camera before, but most digital cameras have 2 USB settings: PTP and Mass storage.

Try each one and see how your mac reacts.

Loa

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Just by chance, you did turn the camera on, didn't you...

6. CCK macrumors member

I'm sure imovie is much like FCP, it'll only recognize a FW connection for capturing video, so yes it sounds like you'll need to drag the files off of it, then import to imovie.

You may need a card reader, your cam doesn't show up on the desktop? Have you tried plugging it in while it's on?

Think of it like this, if you want to have photos in your video, you download them, then import them into your video program, There's no need for the program to read & capture it, all that is necessary is for the files to be copied to a specified disc/folder, tape needs a special program to capture & place the file in a specified scratch disc, so you need the program for this process.

If the program read files off your camera, it would also have to figure out that it was a camera (not a scratch disc) and that those files would have to be transfered to a scratch disc, otherwise you'd have to have the cam hooked up each time you want to edit the footage. So this is redundant since all you need to do is drag & drop files from a card. This is why (as far as I know) video programs don't read usb devices.