Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsironick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Hi! When I delete a file from trash, no empty space corresponding to the hard disk. So, now I have only 23 GB empty and I am afraid that soon I will not have any free space. I delete a lot of my files but nothing happened. It is like I never delete them for disk space. What can I do?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi! When I delete a file from trash, no empty space corresponding to the hard disk. So, now I have only 23 GB empty and I am afraid that soon I will not have any free space. I delete a lot of my files but nothing happened. It is like I never delete them for disk space. What can I do?
Do you have Time Machine turned on? If you do, when you delete files they do not really get deleted, but rather get moved to a hidden /.Mobilebackups folder. Once your disk begins to get full with these files, the OS will start to delete them.

You can read about it here.

tsironick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Do you have Time Machine turned on? If you do, when you delete files they do not really get deleted, but rather get moved to a hidden /.Mobilebackups folder. Once your disk begins to get full with these files, the OS will start to delete them.

You can read about it here.
I don't have my time machine disk now at home. Maybe is that. The prob is when I am going to Storage tab, it is not in parts to see my files, so everything is labeled Others. I will inform you when I have news. Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't have my time machine disk now at home. Maybe is that. The prob is when I am going to Storage tab, it is not in parts to see my files, so everything is labeled Others. I will inform you when I have news. Thanks!
If you have Time Machine on, what I described is exactly what is going on and is normal.

If you run the command below in Terminal it will show you how many GB of space is being used by that local snapshots feature.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

Reactions: tsironick

tsironick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
If you have Time Machine on, what I described is exactly what is going on and is normal.

If you run the command below in Terminal it will show you how many GB of space is being used by that local snapshots feature.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups
It says:

33G /.MobileBackups

That means that it uses 33GB? It is around what I except! Thank you! :)

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.