Problem with disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jlangeblom, Apr 26, 2016.

1. jlangeblom macrumors newbie

jlangeblom

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, just delete the post.

Hi guys,

Ive had a 2tb hard drive for a while, and my usb port has been broken for a while (well kinda broken) so that means that i dont have a stable connection from my external hard drive to computer, therefore hard drive always disconnects without being safely ejected. Ive never dropped my hard drive so i assume taht is the only thing that has caused my hard drive to go corrupt. Now for the details i simply try and repair the disk through disk utility as im not the greatest and i get this error. I tried messing around with terminal a bit, but it simply said "Ownership of the affected disk is required.". Basically im stuck, the hard drives files can be read, but i cant write to the hard drive. If anyone can give any assistance that would be great, i also dont really have much money to buy some crazy third party program. Again thanks in advance

Regards,

James
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2016 ---
    Oooh important to note, i dont have another external hard drive to back up the data on the corrupted disk then reformat. So if there is a way around that ;) you the man.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you're sure the USB port itself is broken (hardware-wise), then perhaps the best thing to do would be to open the enclosure, take the drive OUT OF it, and put it into another enclosure (or perhaps a USB3/SATA docking station) that has a "known-good" USB port and connecting cable...

3. jlangeblom thread starter macrumors newbie

jlangeblom

well the hard drive is partitioned, one partition works. So the hardware of my computer shouldnt be making it corrupt.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What USB port is broken? On the Mac or on the HD enclosure? What Mac model are we discussing?

Certainly a bad port on either end could cause the disconnecting, and said disconnecting can certainly cause corruption on the disk. Also, that sort of corruption is often unfixable by Disk Utility...a truth going all the way back to the pre-OS X days. There may be nothing physically wrong with the disk.

I don't have a solution that doesn't include more gear or third-party apps.

Don't ever, ever use a known bad USB port.

5. jlangeblom thread starter macrumors newbie

jlangeblom

The disconnecting from the usb port was explaining the problem regarding my corrupted drive, i was just wondering if there was a way to fix a corrupted drive which has been corrupted due to a lot of disconnecting.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If one partition of the drive is consistently mounting and appears to be ok (even if ANOTHER partition DOES NOT appear to be ok) -- I don't believe this has ANYTHING to do with "the cable" or the port.

You have a problem with the -partition-, not the hardware...

7. jlangeblom thread starter macrumors newbie

jlangeblom

huh i never thought about it like that, well thank you for the info i guess ill just reformat, partition it when i buy more additional storage. Thanks!