Problem with downloads folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by antsalz, Oct 29, 2013.

1. antsalz macrumors newbie

Hi ive had my mac for about a year and a half. I never deleted my downloads folder because i was afraid that if i did it would delete documents and files that i have downloaded online such as music, essays, etc. I now have about 3-4000 items in my download folder :eek: I was wondering if i clear out the folder will all of my music and other things that i have downloaded go away too?

Thanks, Anthony

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It depends. If you have a copy somewhere else then no loss. For instance iTunes copies any songs to it's Library folder. Also Trash and TM will cover any deletion anyway.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's probably best not to let that many items accumulate in your Downloads folder. I say that because with that many, there has probably been quite a bit of time that has passed. You'll never be able to remember if you put a copy of a file you downloaded somewhere else. A few things don't matter. Take apps you download, for instance. Once installed, you don't have to have the download because if you need to reinstall, you can just download it again.