Problem with Epson printer working with iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markthedoc, Jul 19, 2007.

1. markthedoc macrumors newbie

Hi
    I bought an Intel iMac machine a few months ago but I'm having a few problems getting my Epson CX6400 printer working via USB.
    When I connect the USB lead into the slot on my keyboard the printer works fine. However when I connect the USB lead directly into my Mac it doesn't work and I get a 'communication error'. It's not a faulty socket on my Mac because the keyboard works on all 3 sockets.
    Anyone else had this problem or has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Cheers.

Mark

2. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Interesting...

I'm guessing it has something to do with USB 1 versus USB 2 and/or powered USB ports. The keyboard isn't powered USB and I think it's USB 1. The main USB ports in your iMac are powered and USB 2.

Have you tried using a new, USB 2 cable with your printer? USB 2 should be backwards compatable with USB 1. My hunch is perhaps your USB cable is old USB 1 and doesn't like the USB 2 powered connection.

Anyways, just an idea. Hope it helps.

3. markthedoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Mac21ND thanks for the reply.
    I haven't tried another USB lead because the lead I'm using is a 10m lead because my printers over the other side of the room. I'll try a USB2 lead though out of interest. I'm guessing the lead is USB1. I'll try and locate a 10m USB 2 cable I think!
    Thanks for your help.