Problem with erratic cursor in OS X 10.5 Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eye4Desyn, May 10, 2010.

1. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

Can anyone help please???? I noticed this problem beginning (give or take) 3weeks ago with my iMac. I'm currently running Leopard with the latest update. It seems I have an erratic blinking cursor, no matter if placed in a URL field, a search field of any sort, or anywhere just trying to type something, the cursor seems to "take off" in this sort of perpetual blinking that I can't make stop. When the problem first began, after 2 restarts, my machine returned to normal. However, yesterday afternoon, the same problem re-appeared. When trying to close applications, the problem causes a repeated "pinging" sound. I've tried 3 restarts without any luck. I generally leave my machine on all the time with sleep mode activated. I currently use the wireless aluminum BT keyboard and magic mouse. The magic mouse has the latest drivers that fixed my wireless keyboard from dying after every 3 or so days. Nonetheless, I'm baffled, frustrated, and confused on this one. I even ran disk utility this morning to see if something was wrong with the hard disk. The utility finished saying the hard disk appears to be ok. Can someone please help????

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried un-pairing the Magic Mouse and using the computer with another mouse instead?

3. MacBookDan macrumors member

Also, make sure none of the keys are stuck down or being pressed.

4. Eye4Desyn thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't tried that, but will give it a go later this evening.

5. Eye4Desyn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, checked that out too, and nothing is obstructing or interfering with the keyboard in anyway. I'll check again to be sure a key (presumably space bar) isn't stuck as the cursor blinks as though the space bar is being pressed down.