Problem with Error Code 43

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by schwine5, Feb 28, 2016.

1. schwine5 macrumors newbie

The hard disk in bay one is my main working hard drive and a hard disk in bay two is a backup drive on a 2009 Mac Pro desktop computer. I'm running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5. There is no available memory in bay two so I want to delete some of the files.

When I try to do this from the hard disk in bay one, the following message appears: "The operation can't be completed because one or more required items can't be found. Error code -43."

Thanks for any tips on how I can resolve this error message in order to delete files from the hard disk in bay two.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I don't mean to scare you, but error -43 is a read/write error that tends to occur on dying disks.

It might be a good idea to get another drive of sufficient capacity and copy as much data over as possible.

If I'm wrong: Better safe than sorry...

3. schwine5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've now managed to access the drive to delete un-needed files.
    My guess is that Error -43 might also occur when the drive is filled to capacity.
    In my case, the drives are all brand new.

4. jcyoungman macrumors newbie

Also, just because a hard drive is brand new, doesn't mean it will not fail. So just keep that in mind too. It has happened to me before.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've had drives completely filled and never got -43.

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Hm, OK,
    That's my experience, too. I stand by my recommendation.

7. schwine5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the repair disk / verify disk option in disk utility have any value in this situatilon?
    For what it's worth, it says that the "volume appears to be ok" after a disk repair and verification.

8. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, Disk Utility is no good in that regard.
    There are a few options, but I think none of them is free: DiskTools Pro, DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro. Those should be able to determine whether the disk is physically ok.

9. schwine5, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

schwine5 thread starter macrumors newbie