Problem with external Dell monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Martyimac, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I am running a Dell S2209W on my 13" Macbook uBody, a pro without FW if you will.
    Anyway, not sure exactly what is bothering me but after a while, my eyes feel strained. I have calibrated it using the SL built in calibrator and while it is better than out of the box, I still feel eye strain. Anyone else using this monitor and are you happy? Any tricks to calibration levels? Or is this an issue with SL color levels, gamut, etc.?
    I am seriously considering going to the U2410 for height and tilt capability if nothing else.

2. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I guess I made this too specific. So thanks to those that looked. And if anybody wants to add ANY info, it would be welcome.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

2410 would probably be much easier on the eyes.

What is bothering you?

Is the overall display "too bright", too intense?

Is there too much glare?

What?

I have a Dell UltraSharp 1905FP (several years old). When I first got it, I found it too bright, almost "overpowering". My solution was to go into the "colors" menu (on the monitor), and lower the color intensity settings from 100% down to just over 80%. After that I calibrated the display using System Preferences. The resulting image is better than ANY image I've ever seen on ANY Apple display I've looked at.

One note: with this particular Dell display (perhaps it's true for ALL of them), I could not adjust the monitor's color saturation while connected through a dvi input. Just couldn't access those controls, like they didn't exist. The only way I could "get to" them was to hook up the display with a VGA connecting cable, then it worked. Some will reply that "VGA is inferior to dvi", but to that I respond: nonsense. Again, I've never seen another display that equals this one.

4. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I knew someone would ask me so I have been thinking on this. On the one hand, it is too bright, when I drop the brightness, the contrast gets worse, when I adjust the contrast it's like, I don't know, the display just doesn't look good. I can put that monitor on my Windows 7 machine and it looks just fine. I just cant seem to get a decent look on SL. Now one thing I have done is put my older Dell 2005FPW on the Macbook and things look a lot better. I did loose the ability to change the brightness and contrast but I can use "Shades" to drop the brightness levels and the contrast still looks okay. I calibrated the older Dell and all seems okay.
    The other thing I notice on the newer dell is that fonts seem a little off. Like they don't have even color over the entire font, almost like they are mottled. Again, on the windows machine, I don't notice it. And lastly, all I can tell you about the newer dell is that over a long period, my eyes were getting tired. Since I don't use the newer Dell on the windows machine that much, I don't know if long term usage on the windows machine would produce the same feeling. But the new cheaper Dell doesn't have height adjustment either and I do miss that. Using books to raise the height just seems so archaic.

I don't know if all that helps or not.