Problem with external hard drive - Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yani2k8, May 31, 2010.

1. yani2k8 macrumors member

yani2k8

Hi all

I've got a really big problem that I desperately need to sort out or else I lose all my data. It's kinda complicated so please bear with me.

I am selling my iMac so I transferred all my data onto an external hard drive. I then plugged it into my PC because I wanted to put the data on there. However, the PC did not recognize the drive. I googled it and got the idea that I need to change the letter of the drive. So I downloaded some software that does that. Anyways, that didn't work and the drive wasn't read by the PC. I later found out that the reason behind it is the format of the drive.

So I then tried to plug the hard drive back into my Mac and I got this message: "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer". :(

What have I done?? I know I definitely haven't formatted the drive so I'm hoping the data is still on it. But how do I access it? Any ideas/suggestions? Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Yani

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your HD is likely in HFS+ format which Windows cannot read nor write. You need HFSExplorer to read&write HFS+ in Windows

3. yani2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yani2k8

Thanks for your response. I just installed HFSExplorer on my PC to try and read the hard drive but it's not letting me. HFSExplorer says 'No file systems loaded'.