Problem with external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swimlikehell, Aug 22, 2008.

1. swimlikehell macrumors member

I have a 1TB WD External, when I plug it into my macbook, it doesn't recognize it. Even in disk utilities it doesn't show it, it has power and my firewire plug works. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know, thanks.

2. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The disk itself may not be initialized. I've had this problem before and had to plug it into a PC to initialize the drive, then from then on could connect to the mac and just formatted as HFS. If you don't have access to a PC, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

3. swimlikehell thread starter macrumors member

After I Initialize it through the PC, What is the format I need it to have so both the mac and pc can read it. Since I want to stick it on my airport and let both write to it?

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Once it's on the airport, it shouldn't matter. I would recommend writing it as HFS simply because when you try access content like music or videos over airport, if it's in the FAT32 format that is compatible with both PC and Mac, the airport will drop the connection or time out. Anytime you access a drive across a network, network protocols take care of the conversion process. Only in directed connected drives does the format matter.

Or...I could be slightly crazy. Anyone else contest this? :p

5. swimlikehell thread starter macrumors member

I have got it working on my network and I was curios how to set it up to work over the internet on an windows xp machine. I can talk to it through my network using both my mac and windows machine. I would really like to talk to it remotely, I guess using the ip address. If anyone has nay help it would be much appreciated, thanks