Problem with Finder windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the1payday, Sep 1, 2007.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Lately I've been having a "problem" with the finder. Every time I turn my computer on (I have a MacBook) the finder window automatically opens without me telling it to. I'm not sure if there is a way to stop this from happening but I would love to know. It's not really that big of a deal, it just kind of bothers me.

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

do you have a folder, or your hd in your dock next to your trash? If so, if you click and hold it you're given the option "open at login" make sure thats disabled.

3. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

I don't have the folder or HD in my dock so I don't think it's either one of those....thanks though. Any other ideas?

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Try going into System Prefs > Accounts then select login items and if finder shows up in there then either delete it or check the box next to it, or a folder could show up in there.

5. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

It could also be that you had a finder window open before you shut down/restarted and it opened when you logged in. This happens to me frequently.

6. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Very true.

7. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Thanks for all the suggestions but none of them seem to be working. I would think it was just me not closing the finder window at shutdown and it reopening at login because of that, but I've made it point to make sure it was closed to keep this from happening and it still keeps doing it. Anything else that someone could suggest? I really appreciate it.

8. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

I suppose I should ask another question that's been bothering me. Every time I open the Finder, the Applications folder is automatically the selected choice in the left hand column of choices. I know it is like this because I have it set this way but...is there anyway I can change this from just always opening a certain folder, or can I set the Finder to remember which window I was in when I closed it, then automatically re-open this window when the finder is opened next time?

Thanks for your help.