Problem with Firefox Address Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by judgecrandall, Jul 10, 2010.

1. judgecrandall macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem with the Firefox address bar that is driving me crazy. When I used to type a word into the address bar (e.g., espn), the search bar would either open espn.com, or a google search for espn if the domain guessing didn't work. Now, I just get a page labeled "Failed to open page" that says "The host does not exist."

I've checked all the relevant about:config options, and all those seem to be set correctly. The problem is still there in Safe Mode, too. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times (using AppDelete), which doesn't change anything. I don't know what else to try at this point. Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Did AppDelete remove org.mozilla.firefox.plist from HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences ?

You could try again to see, or just move it to the Desktop and then start up Firefox.

3. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

AppDelete does remove it. I tried moving org.mozilla.firefox.plist to the desktop, and still no luck. Thanks for trying.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Open up about:config
    Type keyword into the filter bar
    Do you have:

Code:
    [B]Preference Name    Status     Type      Value[/B]
    keyword.URL        default    string    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=
    keyword.enabled    default    boolean   true

5. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Bummer, was hoping that would help. If you go to Help in the menu bar and select Troubleshooting Information... under Modified Preferences on the page that comes up do you see anything that looks like it may be preventing Firefox from working properly?

7. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing looks like it would be messing with the address bar. I tried changing them, and still the same, unfortunately.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Looks like the user.js file may be preventing all that you've tried from working. It's all explained here mozillaZine: User.js file

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Just create a new bookmark, and be sure to add a keyword for it. There is the option when you create it.

You can also modify existing ones.;)

EDIT: on second tought, you can also name a bookmark. For example, I have a bookmark called WEN (it's wikipedia in english). When I type it, the adress comes first in the list.

11. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure this is the problem, as I don't even have a user.js file on my system. Could creating and then deleting the user.js file actually be helpful?

I have a lot of bookmarks with keywords, but I'd prefer to not have to bookmark EVERY website I ever go to... =)

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try this:

Back up your bookmarks to a JSON file. Go find your Firefox profile folder and profiles.ini file (they're in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Firefox). Move them elsewhere (while Firefox isn't running). Relaunch Firefox. Restore your JSON backup of your bookmarks. Does it work now? If it does, something was messed up in your profile.

13. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

Followed your instructions, and the address bar still doesn't work correctly, unfortunately :(. So I guess it's not a profile issue? Thanks for your help.

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Since the user.js supersedes everything else it seemed like the perfect answer, but if you dont have one (I don't) then I don't imagine that creating/deleting would work.

Do you have the latest version of Firefox? Do you have any Firefox add-ons installed? Maybe one of them is causing this behavior.

15. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using version 3.6.6. I haven't tried the 4.0 beta, I'll try that later. As for add-ons, I don't think that's the culprit, as I've tried running in safe mode, and regular mode after reinstalling (with no extensions installed). I've noticed that I get the same "The host does not exist" page with Safari. I've never really used Safari, so I'm not sure what normal behavior would be, though. The Chrome address/search bar works just fine though.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

17. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Does browsing work otherwise? Like when you type in a full URL or use a bookmark?

18. judgecrandall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, regular browsing with bookmarks, full URLs, and keywords works just fine.

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Sounds like it's something DNS related. Here's a link to a different scenario, but I think similar, that pertains to DNS. Maybe the solution would work for you.

mozillaZine: My ISP is by-passing Firefox's Location bar search