problem with flash drive-crashing finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rglatter, May 1, 2007.

1. rglatter macrumors regular

Hey everyone,
    I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, im sure I just didn't look right..anyways Im having a very annoying problem. I have a flash drive and I stick it in my macbook pro, or my iMac and it locks up the finder on both computers, only way to fix it is to turn off the computer or just pull out the flash drive. It happens every-time I put it in, and the only way I can look at it is if the computer is off, and the flash drive is in when i boot.

It does not do the same thing on the school Imacs, just my macbook pro, and my imac.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Do you have some kind of virus scanner on your Macs? Anything else like that? What format is the flash disk in? Mac format (HFS+), FAT32, NTFS?

3. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

a virus scanner is on the mac at school. And it is in the same format that it was when I got it, which I assume would be windows. Im not sure which exact format it is. It is one of the U3 drives if that makes any difference. It worked fine for a while, then recently it just causes the finder to crash(my definition of crash is spinning beach ball of death and unable to relaunch)

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Yes, its probably FAT32. Its quite rare, if not impossible to get a flash drive in HFS+ (Mac) Format.

I would see if I could back up the stuff on the flash drive either to CD or DVD(s) and then reformat the flash drive and see what happens. Of course you'll need to do this on a Mac or PC that recognizes the flash drive properly.