Problem with fonts is MS Office for MAC 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by delimac, Nov 28, 2011.

1. delimac macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    I have recently installed MS OFFICE for MAC 2011 in my MBP (migrating slowly from Windows to OSX Lion) and I am experiencing problems with many common fonts (eg. ARIAL BLACK) which are automatically being substituted by other fonts (eg. the undesirable Noteworthy Bold) when I type Greek characters (my native language).
    Am I missing something?
    Is this an encoding problem of Word?
    Please note that all fonts work fine in other apps (eg. OpenOffice)

Please help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Never had a problem with the fonts in Office 2011 or any other version of Office:mac. Furthermore, I have never heard of the Noteworthy Bold font.

To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft uses the standard MacOS X type engine in Office. However, it installs fonts in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/ folder instead of the /Library/Fonts/ folder.

3. neilhouselander macrumors newbie

Fonts

HI, had the same issue when I installed earlier this year - is a simple fix but took me forever to find it - run font book from your apps folder & get it to look for enabled duplicates (under edit).

I found hundreds of duplicates & each one caused some problem - the overall effect was to slow office 11 to a crawl.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

+1 for the Font Book fix! That has helped calm down Lion a lot when running Office 2011.
    Another thing to try in order to speed up Word is turn off the "display fonts and styles as actual images" (or something to that effect, my version of Office is Japanese so the option has a slightly different wording) in Word's General preferences pane.:cool:

5. delimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem narrowed to ARIAL NARROW

Thank you for your tips.
    Font Book is an excellent tool, I was able to view all font info and enable the proper font (and disable hundred of unused).
    I have managed to solve the ARIAL BLACK font issue, however, it seems that all ARIAL NARROW fonts installed, both from Apple and Microsoft don not support Greek language. This is strange, since they supported it on Windows. Is it possible to find a copy of ARIAL NARROW (ARIALN.ttf) font that supports Greek language? Do you think I can I transfer the proper file from Windows?

6. delimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Previous message addendum

Strange thing though, the ARIAL NARROW BOLD displays Greek characters, although Greek language is not listed in the font information.
    addendum.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is not strange because it is not 1995. All Office-compatible fonts and many, many others contain the Greek glyphs. If the font does not contain these characters, then it is probably because the font is old or it is intended for non-Western text. Open the Character Palette and explore a few fonts. You might learn something.

8. delimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue resolved

Thank you all for your help. Problem solved - Case closed.
    I just have to mention for others who might experience that true type font files (*.ttf) are easily transferable from Windows to Mac.