Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtw11195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Last weekend I installed an SSD in place of my optical drive on my late 2009 iMac. I then created a DIY fusion drive out of my HDD and SSD, and it was successful. If I go to About This Mac > More Info > Storage, it shows it as one single volume and labels it as a Fusion Drive. Great.

Now for the not so good part...sometimes when I boot up the computer, the Apple logo takes forever to appear and then when it finally does, the spinning progress indicator just spins and spins until the Apple logo is replaced by a circle with a slash through it. This forces me to reboot the computer. After I reboot, the computer starts up normally. It only has this problem every other boot or so.

Also, when I wake my computer from sleep mode, and then go to click on something on the Dock or the menu bar, I get the spinning beach ball of death. It just spins and spins, so I have to reboot again, and that fixes the issue until I put my computer to sleep and wake it up again...

One thing I noticed is that when I have these issues, I hear my HDD turn off. I don't know how to describe the sound, but I know that's what it is, because it makes that sound whenever I turn my computer off.

How do I prevent my HDD from going off or sleeping? I unchecked "Put Hard Disks to Sleep When Possible" in the Energy Saver preference pane and that hasn't helped. Any ideas? This is really getting annoying having to reboot all the time.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Last weekend I installed an SSD in place of my optical drive on my late 2009 iMac. I then created a DIY fusion drive out of my HDD and SSD, and it was successful. If I go to About This Mac > More Info > Storage, it shows it as one single volume and labels it as a Fusion Drive. Great.

Now for the not so good part...sometimes when I boot up the computer, the Apple logo takes forever to appear and then when it finally does, the spinning progress indicator just spins and spins until the Apple logo is replaced by a circle with a slash through it. This forces me to reboot the computer. After I reboot, the computer starts up normally. It only has this problem every other boot or so.

Also, when I wake my computer from sleep mode, and then go to click on something on the Dock or the menu bar, I get the spinning beach ball of death. It just spins and spins, so I have to reboot again, and that fixes the issue until I put my computer to sleep and wake it up again...

One thing I noticed is that when I have these issues, I hear my HDD turn off. I don't know how to describe the sound, but I know that's what it is, because it makes that sound whenever I turn my computer off.

How do I prevent my HDD from going off or sleeping? I unchecked "Put Hard Disks to Sleep When Possible" in the Energy Saver preference pane and that hasn't helped. Any ideas? This is really getting annoying having to reboot all the time.

The last two times (on two different computers) I experienced those symptoms it was a failing hard drive. Does your iMac qualify for the hard disk replacement that affected many 2009+ computers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.