Problem with Garageband on 2011 Mac Mini - "Garageband has detected a MIDI timeout"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 57varieties, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 57varieties macrumors newbie

Hi

Just opened Garageband for the 1st time on my 2011 2.5GHz Mac Mini and been confronted with this message:

"GarageBand has detected a MIDI timeout. Please restart your computer, then relaunch GarageBand. If the problem persists, update the drivers of all connected MIDI devices (including audio drivers with MIDI functionality) to the latest version. For instructions on removing older drivers, consult the manufacturers' documentation."

I've restarted the computer several times & ensured all software updates are installed, but the program still refuses to run. I'm completely new to Garageband, so any help would be appreciated.

2. lotones macrumors regular

Hey there. I'm not sure what's going on there but there's a couple things you might try:

1. In your Utilities folder there's an app called Audio MIDI Setup. Open that and make sure none of your devices are muted (uncheck the boxes. For some reason some of mine were muted by default by one of the Lion upgrades.) Then make sure the format is set to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch 16 or 24 bit integer (24 bit for built-in devices, 16 bit for USB devices).

2. Then in that same app go up to the Window menu and select "show MIDI window". In that window select "rescan MIDI". Hopefully that will reset the MIDI controller.

Close the Audio MIDI Setup app and restart Garageband.

Hope that helps.

3. 57varieties thread starter macrumors newbie

Just deleted all MIDI drivers from Mac HD > Library > Audio > MIDI drivers and all seems fine now (kept a backup in case).