Problem with Google Maps / Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All,

When using Google Maps in Safari I don't seem able to use ' Get Directions '.

Normally I'd enter a start address, and an end address, then it would highlight a road directions on the map ( which I could drag to alter the route ) - it would also give me a written direction list.

Now this doesn't work.

I've tried it in Chrome browser and it works fine so it seems to be a Safari issue.

All help appreciated! :)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Safari works perfectly for me.

It seems to be NOT a Safari issue.

3. mr.iso macrumors member

Bad Consultant! You know what they say about consulting. If you don't know the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

Don't prolong the problem. You're not making money here.

It most certainly is a Safari problem. Apple really screwed the pooch on this one.

Safari 5.1.4 in 32 bit mode has a very very bad javascript bug where, in an array, no matter what index you reference, the first element is always returned. This breaks lots of stuff, as arrays are used all over the place.

To get it to work, get info on safari in the applications folder and uncheck open in 32 bit mode, at least until they release a patch for it.

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Mr. Iso - you are 100% correct. It now works fine - thank you! :)
    Can you tell me what the 'run in 32 bit mode means? What does it do, and what
    would be the effects of turning it off?

Many thanks

So Mr. Consultant, it seems to be a Safari issue after all eh? :rolleyes:

5. mr.iso macrumors member

If you have plugins that are 32 bit only then I'm pretty sure they won't run. (Not 100% sure on that though) Other than that, there's no reason not to run in 64 bit mode.

Turning on 64 bit mode basically allows Safari to take advantage of the 64 bit features of the OS. And get directions, apparently. :)

6. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown