Problem with Hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skfarkowsky, Feb 22, 2010.

1. skfarkowsky macrumors newbie

Hey all
    I think i have a problem with my hard drive. I've been hearing clicking noises from the back of my imac (24" alu). I've had this problem since i bought it (http://www.macworld.co.uk/forums/msgs.cfm?msg=114771&forum=4) I've been to apple store twice. First time they didn't find anything wrong after allegedly testing HDD 24hs, second time the guy just looked at activity monitor and said everything was OK. But the problem persists. After few hours this clicking noise appears and everything stops: movies, websites. After a while comes back to normal but I can't stand it!!!This is the sound of a writing HDD with the difference that this affects everything. The guy in apple store (kingston) said it could be because i have windows installed also and mac is not designed for it. Has anybody had similar problem. Would re-instalation help?Thanks for any help
    PETER

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The guy in the Apple Store is either an idiot or is trying to offload the blame on you where it belongs very much with Apple (or technically their hard drive supplier, but Apple has to be the one to replace it for you). I'm willing to bet it's the latter. There is absolutely no reason Windows should cause your hard drive to click, and the hard drive in your Mac is exactly the same model as is on store shelves for Windows users. The label just includes an extra Apple logo.

No, reinstalling would not help. Keep pushing on Apple until they give you a piece of that world-class support we've been hearing so much about. If you can't get any satisfaction in person, try calling their support line.

3. JS82189 macrumors regular

not sure if you got this resolved, im on my second HD and this one is clicking..

I heard that the Kingston store is really shady and sells older-gen computers as the latest model

Kingston NY that is.

4. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Sounds like the Apple Store guy is wrong. I mean, Macs and PCs have the same hard drive components so a Windows install probably isn't going to cause that kind of problem. A clicking hard drive could be a sign it's failing. I had this happen with a previous Mac and it turned out that the hard drive needed to be replaced. Reinstalling OS X or Windows isn't going to do you any good. Do you stil have Applecare on it? If so, do what the previous commenter said and keep pushing Apple to look at it.