Problem with High speed Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rvalone, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rvalone macrumors newbie

rvalone

I just moved to this place that has Rogers High speed Internet. My PC has no problem going online but my Mac (Powerbook G3,Mac OS 10.4.11) is not connecting.

We are using WebStar Cable modem DPX2213

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/consumers/new_cablemodems.htm

In the System Preference --> Network--> I have "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" but "Router" is blank

Is this because the Modem is not compatible with Mac or something else...?

Please help

Thanks

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You aren't going to be on the Internet without a "gateway" or "Router" address. This should be the IP address if your router. If you aren't sure what that is, you should be able to check it from your working PC.

3. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

Thanks for the reply

But it does not let me enter the Router address manually unless I enter IP Address and Subnet Mask too!

???

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its possible the connection it tied to your MAC(not mac as in the computer) address in which only one address can connect. If thats the case you need to spoof the MAC address or buy a router.

5. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

Thanks for all the replies

Last night i connected my Q.Silver and it worked just fine. To test the network on my Powerbook, I networked the Powerbook with my Q.Silver and Network card on Powerbook works too.

The problem is, I am sharing the Internet connection with two other tenets and I can not call Rogers and ask for help (I have heard SHARING is not allowed)

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It sounds like you are using DHCP to get an address from your router, but it isn't giving you a gateway.

What happens when you use your Q.Silver? Do you get a Router address with the same network settings as your powerbook?

Can you use more than one computer on the internet at a time? It sounds like you have a Cable modem without a router. You need a router in order for multiple computers to work at one time.

With a single computer connected to a Cable modem, the MAC address of the computer can often be an issue. Often times you can't just swap computers without resetting the cable modem.

I have also seen connections where the computer's MAC address is entered into the setup with the Cable company, and you can't connect from other computers, without spoofing the "Approved address", as mentioned by someone else.

7. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

Thanks "aross99" for the reply

When i connected my Q.Silver, it got the IP address, Subnet Mask and Router address... but the Powerbook gets totally different IP Address, Subnet Mask and no Router address at all.

For some odd reason my Powerbook can not see the router. My PC and Q.silver got connected without any set up.

There are two other tennets in my place and they have no idea :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try changing your connection to a manual setup under Airport advanced, TCP/IP settings and set a static IP (on the same subnet as your Q.silver) but with a different ending address.

Example:

Q.silver

IP address = 192.168.1.100
    Netmask = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.1

Then use this on your mac:

IP address = 192.168.1.99
    Netmask = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.1

Note, check with your neighbors that they are not using that IP address.

Then click the Apply button.

See if that establishes a connection.

Again, the above are only examples. It all depends on what the actual settings you derive from you Q.silver to give you the "working" settings.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Merl1n has a good idea. Try manual settings that match one of the working computers, but make the IP address different. Check the IP's on the other computers in the house, and make the last part different. Usually they are assigned basically in order, so if they are low number like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, then pick a higher number like 192.168.1.50. Just don't go over 254 (?).

If you can post the settings your working computers have, we can give you some suggestions on what to try.

If your working computers have what are called "private" IP addresses, that start with 192.168 or 10. they you are probably behind a router, and you should be able to get your laptop to work.

if you have a public IP, that is one that starts with something other than 10. or 192.168, then I suspect that you don't really have a router, and your cable modem is passing through your public IP.

One other thing to look out for - if your powerbook is getting an address that starts with 169, then that means it has a "self assigned IP", and it isn't getting an IP from your cable modem, which might point to other issues.

So in essence, try using manual settings, or getting us all of the IP info (IP address, netmask, and router/gateway) on your working machine(s), and we can give you some more suggestions...

10. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

I tried the manual IP Address and it didn't work ... no Internet connection

My Powerbook info.:
    IP Address: 169.254.18.197
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Router : (BLANK HERE)

Q.Silver:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.105
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router : 192.168.1.1

(The network card on my Powerbook is tested and it is working)

The problem is ... I am selling my QuickSilver on Sat. (already paid for) and My PC is already sold too. Comes Sat. my Powerbook is going to be the only system in my place.

Thanks for all your help
    :D:D:D

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

See the 169 address on your powerbook? That means you are not getting an IP address from anywhere.

Did you try setting the powerbook to a manual address with something like this:

IP Address: 192.168.1.120
    Net Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1

We should be able to get this to work by Saturday... :)

Also - are we using Ethernet or Airport for this?

12. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

Yes, I tried manual IP Address, ...
    192.168.1.1 to 254

but it didn't connect to Internet

I am using Ethernet (No Airport Card)
    ;)

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

under the TCP/IP tab and beside "Configure IPv4:" try "Using DHCP" and then reboot your router.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

How is your Powerbook connected to the router?

Does your router have a built in hub/switch with a number of ports?

I would assume so, and you have a standard ethernet cable plugged in to one of those ports for your powerbook, and another ethernet cable plugged into one of the other ports, going to your quicksilver?

I assume you have been through the DHCP setting, but it won't hurt to try that again as suggested above. After you try the "using DHCP" setting, and reboot your router, see if you get a 192.168.1.X IP. if you do, then stop and let us know.

Based on your previous posts, I assume you will get another 169.254 address, meaning your powerbook, can't see the DHCP server (usually your router).

If DHCP doesn't work, try the settings I suggested, and see if you can ping your router from your powerbook. Open Terminal on your powerbook and type:

ping 192.168.1.1

also try pinging the Quicksilver (assuming it is still connected to the router also):

ping 192.168.1.105

finally, from the quicksilver, open terminal and try pinging your powerbook:

ping 192.168.1.120

Let me know what you get back.

15. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

OK, I just read the user manual for your cable modem. It has one ethernet port, so in order to connect to multiple PC's, you need a hub or a switch with multiple ports.

You haven't described anything like this. How are you connecting all of these PC's and Mac's to your Cable modem?

16. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you are sharing the internet with other tenants and your modem only has one port, then there must be a router connected somewhere and that is connected to your modem. Otherwise they can't share the internet with you.

So how are you connecting your Q.silver? Wirelessly or by ethernet? And if by ethernet to what box, a router or your modem? If connected to your modem, then the other tenants lose their connectivity.

You need to investigate this and give us complete details on your setup.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The Cable Modem link indicated that it would support multiple PC's with an external hub or switch, so I assume this unit has a router.

Seems odd, since most units with a router also have a built in hub/switch, but that is what it said.

I agree though, that there is something missing here about the physical connections to all of these computers...

18. rvalone thread starter macrumors newbie

rvalone

Thanks everybody...

I tried manual setting with no results, reset the router and modem nothing changed. Then I took my PB to my school (University of Toronto) and plug it in and nothing happened same stupid IP address and no Internet connection. While i was there i go an idea ... why not go wireless, I have PCMCIA card for my PB and only thing I need to buy is wireless router. I got the cheapest wireless router for $20 and surprise surprise I am online.

:D:D:D

Thanks everybody :apple:

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Sounds like your ethernet port is bad. I'm glad you got it working though!