Problem with home videos sent from iMac to iPad

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by samf45, Mar 30, 2015.

1. samf45 macrumors newbie

Any movie I create in the latest version of iMovie on my iMac plays fine on my iPad Air EXCEPT slide shows using a simple cross dissolve between photos. The image breaks up during the dissolve and the Ken Burns effect sometimes freezes for a moment. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Do they work on the iMac?

Maybe try exporting again and see if it works better the second time around. It sounds like something went wrong during the export. The iPad Air should be able to play a high resolution movie without issues.

3. samf45 thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac to iPad Video Issue

Yes, the videos play fine on my iMac and YouTube and other PCs. It is only when sent to the iPad via iTunes that there is a problem. I have deleted and downloaded several times but the problem persists. It does not occur with continuous footage, only movies made of still photos with a cross dissolve transition or Ken Burns Effect. The distortion occurs at the dissolve point and the freeze occurs with Ken Burns.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I cannot replicate your issue. I tried the CNN template with the Ken Burns effect with 12 photos and no issues at all. It plays fine on my Mac and on my iPhone.

Did you try to export again from iMovie? Seems unlikely that a 1080p video would have issues with playback based on the transition type. It’s a video so everything is rendered ahead of time, so transitions should not have any affect.

5. samf45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Replication

Thanks for trying to replicate this issue.

As I mentioned, it has happened after repeated exports of two movies made in the manner I described. Interestingly, I find that the distortion does not always occur at the same point in the movie when I repeated exports. In fact, I sometimes get different results on replaying the movies. I did not have this issue prior to Yosemite.